top of page

Euroonions doubles the number of workers

The company goes from processing 40 to 80 million kilos of onion and reaches 140 workers before activating two more lines with new products. It will close the year with more than 20 million in turnover.
vista aerea.jpg

New factory of the Eurocebollas company located in Alzira.

The construction of the new facilities that the company EuroOnions occupied a year and a half ago involved a huge investment effort -the initial estimate of 12 million euros has shot up to about 26- but it has served to lay the foundations for the expansion of Eurocebollas, an industry based in Alzira that, in just one year, has doubled the workforce from 70 to 140 workers in the different divisions of the group; It has also doubled the production capacity since it has gone from the 40 million kilos that it could process in the previous facilities to the 80 million with which it will close the year without having reached the full potential of the new factory and has also seen its turnover rebound substantially, reaching 16.5 million euros in 2018, while it will close the current year exceeding 20 million euros.

All this, in addition, without counting the new production lines - a dehydration tunnel that was started up this week and one to produce frozen fried onion that is scheduled to go into production at the beginning of the year - which will allow it to continue growing at through new market niches. "Last year we grew 17% and this year we will end up with 30% compared to the previous year, without doing anything new yet" , says the manager of Eurocebollas, Francisco Alberola , who does not hesitate to point out that the expectation is to "continue growing" . In fact, he estimates that next year the workforce will increase to 200 workers.

It is a family business specialized in the preparation of ready-to-serve onion (peeled, cut or pre-cooked) that exports its products to more than 40 countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada, Argentina and Russia, in addition to numerous destinations in Europe. It should be noted that Eurocebollas has just been honored by the regional federation of food industry Fedacova with the internationalization award of the year. "We export 30% of production and growing," says Alberola.

"We are the largest European producer because what we do is not done by anyone," explains Alberola, while stressing that there are very powerful companies that freeze onions - peel, chop and freeze - a sector that represents 70% of the market share , although the processed products of Eurocebollas are framed in the other 30%. In a jar, bag or aseptic, a type of container that allows the product to be kept for up to a year and a half without the need for cold, the company based in Alzira offers multiple "low-cost" alternatives to companies in the food and hospitality sector , foodservice operators and retailers around the world through their ready-to-use onions. In response to customer requests, it will expand the range of products with dehydrated onion -Alberola points out that there are no factories in Europe that make this product- and, as of next year, also with frozen fried onion, a different subsector to onion frozen.

The new EuroOnions facilities , located in the municipality of Alzira although three kilometers from all the surrounding municipalities -Alzira, Guadassuar, l'Alcúdia and Massalavés-, also represented the solution to the complaints due to the strong smell that was perceived , depending on the orientation of the wind, in urban centers such as Alzira. It should be remembered that they previously occupied some ships next to the Renfe station. Alberola acknowledged that, after the transfer, he has received some complaints from Guadassuar and is preparing to apply a solution. As he explained, after commissioning an olfactometric study from the same company that worked with the waste plant, it is planned to install, among other measures, a 25 meter high chimney since the technicians consider that, at these levels, the airs that are can be extracted from the plant will not be perceived in any urban nucleus.

Source: Levante newspaper


bottom of page